For those who enjoy alcohol a thoughtfully selected bottle may seem like the perfect gift.
And while that might be true for people in your personal life, it’s tricky when it comes to corporate gifts.
Alcohol is a controversial gift for reasons that may not be obvious. Consider how much you know about the person.
Assumptions can be risky when you don’t know any of the following information:
- Personal struggles with alcoholism or addiction. Many recovering addicts aren’t necessarily open about their battles with alcohol, especially in their professional environments.
- Challenging family history with alcohol. People with relatives that have a history of alcoholism may have strong aversions to alcohol.
- Religion. Some of the religions that may avoid alcohol include branches of Christianity, Muslims, Jainism and Buddhists.
- Personal preference. Some people avoid alcohol for weight loss, health, mental wellbeing and athletic goals. Others only like certain types of alcohol.
- Corporate policies. Some workplaces have corporate policies about receiving alcohol.
Build Better Relationships With The Right Gift
Gifts are about building and nurturing relationships and you jeopardize that if the gift offends the receiver.
When gifting alcohol it’s important to be 100% certain that it will be well received. In a professional setting, it’s always best to err on the side of caution.
When selecting a gift for someone consider the purpose for the gift:
- Is it for a business or personal milestone?
- Are they a client or employee?
- Is it going to a group or individual
By customizing the gift so it’s appropriate to the occasion, you’ll create a more meaningful experience.
If the gift will be received in the person’s workplace, it’s an opportunity for them to also receive public recognition and feel special.
Obviously we are big fans of gift boxes. The experience of receiving a box, opening it and finding beautifully curated items gives people a prolonged experience of joy compared to opening a gift bag that obviously has a bottle inside.
What ever you decide, put yourself in the receiver’s shoes, how would you feel if you received the gift? Does it feel meaningful?
If you need help selecting a gift for any occasion, check out our gift guide below to help you decide the right type of basket for the occasion.